6.28.2010

Germany : Day 6 - Part 2 : Ropes Course

Looking at these pictures again makes me remember how much fun this really was! There was a ropes course only 5-10 min away (WALKING) from Dan & Marissa's apartment! And it really was one of the COOLEST, most FUN things I have ever done in my life!

Here we are! Bry, Shane, and I ready for our ropes adventure! (Don & Rita went to a different town this day, Dan & Marissa were working, and Sommer & Bryce were baking yummy cookies at the apartment).

This is just to show you how high we really got at some points in the course! Just crazy! I tried to not look down most of the time, because every time I did that, everything got a little spinney and dizzy (Shane and I are at the waaaay bottom of this tree).

So pretty much when you get there, you give them $20-30, you get your gear (harness, two cables, and a helmet), you get a 5 minute shpeal about how they are not liable for anything, but if you fall they will do whatever they can to help you (sign a waiver), you can practice on the "practice course", then off you go! The practice course was like 3 feet off the ground . . HUGE difference when you are up in the trees.

Here I am walking across! They had various obstacles to get from tree to tree, and 3 different levels of courses. We started at easy, did a medium, then did 1 difficult course (Shane did the two difficult courses, but more on that later).

This was one of the easiest, least scary obstacles. You just jump in the net and walk across.

Here is Shane ziplining! And me waiting. Only one person could do the obstacle at a time, and only 3 people were allowed on a platform at a time.
So. Funny story. We had two cables with clips attached to our harness that we were supposed to use when we were up in the trees. There were two because one should be on a course cable at all times, so if you slip or make a wrong step, you always have that safety cable there for you. At least 3 times, I look back at Bry and he's just holding both of his clips in his hands by his chest. Me - "umm . . . .Bry . . . " (I point at his cable clips). Bry - "Oooh. . . that's a bad habit."

Here I am starting at the difficult course. Boy - once you are up there, you are up there. I don't know how they would get you down if you chickened out or couldn't do an obstacle. It's quite the rush!

Everyone was so nice there too, and spoke English pretty well. At one point, one guy came over to where we were and said, "How's everything going? Are you having fun?" To which we replied, "Yes! It's awesome!" Then he said, "it's kinda hard to see everyone at the same time, so . . . don't die." . . as he walked away. That boosted our confidence.

Here was the hardest and scariest obstacle!!! You literally had to swing from your feet then try to grab the hand bars then swing on those to the next foot bar. It was so physically exhausting, but such a sense of accomplishment when you were done! (I don't think the guys that worked there thought I was going to make it, because this was the only obstacle where they came and stood down below to watch . . Boy, did I prove them wrong! . . . Barely. Ha!)

Me ziplining down on my last course!! My legs were going crazy because I kept spinning backwards, so I was trying to prevent that so I could land on my legs instead of my bum.

Shaney decided to do the last course (this was after we were already there for three hours). Bry and I decided to just watch. This one was definitely the most difficult of them all.

Right about here (or maybe before) is when he said, "no part of this one is fun". Ha! He was really tired and those courses take a lot out of you!

The last obstacle was where you just had to jump off a ledge and let the rope take you down. This was the only reason I really wanted to do the last course. It looked so fun. I can't even imagine the anticipation, suspense, and fear on if that rope would really catch you when you jumped. Shaney finally did it and just fell right to the ground (just kidding). He rappelled down (at a pretty fast rate), and was just glad to be on the ground again.

We really had a blast! And whenever you are in the town of Wiesbaden, Germany, I HIGHLY recommend checking this place out!

No comments: